Field of Greens Markets Planner/Manager Position
New London Field of Greens is looking for an energetic and passionate manager of our local farmers’ markets. Two exciting markets in New London. Solid communication, organization and love for farmers’ markets and local artisans. Part-time planning starts in March and the Market begins from July through October 2020.
Please review full description below. Contact Art 860-460-3385 or email@example.com for further information.
Full Position Description
Purpose: To provide both the coordination of vendors and running the market Specialty Stand at 2 markets – L+M Market on Wednesday from 3 – 6 pm and Williams Park on Fridays. The position includes pre-market planning/preparation and some administrative tasks (details to be discussed).
The market manager must be available from 2 pm to 7 pm for each market for set up and clean up. Also required is availability from July through October.
Rain or shine market – Field of Greens operates in sunshine and rain. Canceling a market is based on severity of weather (lightening) or severe Nor’easter winds would be reasons to cancel.
This is a great opportunity for an individual who cares about the local food system and farmers’ markets as a means of reaching an urban community with wholesome local food.
Position reports to Thames Valley Sustainable Connections, Inc. leader. TVSC is the 2020 fiduciary.
Market Management Responsibilities
availability for planning (P/T March thru June, 2 – 5 hrs/week)
2020 Season Plan
- Vendor mix
- Vendor recruit
- Negotiated goal recruit and retain
- Plan 4 Family Days (for first Friday of each month at Williams Park)
- Develop 2020 Season Plan
- 17 week commitment to market management season.
- To ensure each market is properly set up and clean up/take down occurs.
- Collect payment and application from vendors as necessary. All vendors must submit if not on file with Certificate of Insurance. RE: Vender Guidelines for details.
- Distributing and collecting sales sheets for each vendor at the end of each market; and working with TVSC lead in season end financial report.
- Poll attendance at each market as agreed to with TVSC leadership.
- Update as needed Field of Greens website (support to get started provided)
- Communications/Announcements (twice per month) outlining entertainment, family day, special offers.
Specialty Stand Responsibilities
- 17 week commitment to market specialty stand.
- Lifting 50 lbs for set up and take down, vehicle for storing inventory between markets.
- To do cash deposit preparation (provide the net sales cash to TVSC bookkeeper for depositing) along with Point of Sale closing for each market. The cash deposits will be those from the Field of Greens Specialty market. Maintain $200 in cash box for making market change. Payments will be coordinated with TVSC accounting.
- POS includes EBT bonus issuance based on budget and agreement with TVSC leadership. Point of Sales device is used to swipe credit/debit/EBT cards. A token system is used to process. Specialty stand manager will be trained in process.
- Set up stand (tent, table, and products for display). This includes transporting the stand and inventory from market to market.
- Maintain inventory and place orders based on depletion. Coordinate deliver/receipt and payment of orders with TVSC Accounting.
- Manage the Field of Greens information booth and token/check issuance from/to vendors.
General Role: Regarding compensation, the manager’s role is limited to the New London Markets for 2020. The Field of Greens Specialty Stand is part of the role of the market manager in New London.
All assistance will either be volunteer or through the auspice of grant funds, such as USDA and state allocations, or local benefactor. Much of FoG is self-funded.
Characteristics: Reliability is the key to success in this position as well as solid interpersonal skills. Co-planning and recruiting for the 2020 market participants is essential. A strong interest in growing the New London markets, while providing operational stability is important. Personally organized, flexible and willing to provide support to vendors on an as needed basis and achieve the above requirements.
Bi-lingual Spanish/English a plus.
Contracted 1099 position paid per market only. To Be Discussed
Payment cycle is every other week on Mondays for two previous weeks.
Contact Art 860-460-3385 or firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.